These Day Surgery resources have been developed to support NHS Scotland Boards to increase day surgery and short stay surgery rates.
Day Surgery Stakeholder Group
This multi-disciplinary group was established with the aim of further embedding day surgery in NHS Scotland.
The group aims to better understand and address the variation in current day surgery rates and to identify opportunities to further embed day surgery to provide benefits for patients and support the NHS Scotland Recovery Plan.
Common themes to achieve these aims are:
- Utilise exclusion rather than inclusion criteria, i.e. assuming patients are suitable for day surgery unless social, medical or surgical criteria require an overnight stay –“ Day Surgery as the Norm”
- Provide safe and effective pre-operative assessment processes
- Focus on pre-habilitation
As a result of the group, work has been progressed with regards to an evidence based competency framework to support criteria-led discharge processes and a career pathway to provide a dedicated and skilled day surgery workforce and support recruitment and retention of experienced personnel (see relevant sections below).
Day Surgery Blueprints
A generic day surgery blueprint has been produced with a view to being further developed into procedure specific blueprints.
The first procedure specific blueprint has been developed in collaboration with the Arthroplasty Rehabilitation in Scotland Endeavour (ARISE) programme.
It provides a guide on how to implement day surgery arthroplasty and incorporates:
- Definitions of day surgery and recommended length of stay distributions.
- Work that has been progressed by ARISE and their care protocol for same day primary total hip/knee or unicompartmental knee surgery.
- Key steps, principles and enablers.
- Best practice examples and templates.
- Useful ‘hints and tips’ from arthroplasty teams across Scotland and England.
The next procedure specific blueprint to be developed will be for total laparoscopic hysterectomy, which is being developed by the Gynaecology Specialty Delivery Group.
Criteria-led Discharge: Competency and Day Surgery Career Pathway Short Life Working Groups
These groups have nearly completed their work. Outputs will be shared widely and implementation via NHS Boards supported by the CfSD Specialty Delivery Groups.
Further resources including a series of day surgery videos are also available on the Turas version of this page:
The following are also useful websites and resources:
For further information on Day Surgery, or to get involved in any of the groups above contact email@example.com.